Saturday, November 15, 2008

the beginning of the list

I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday about a brilliant woman that we admire and had the privilege of hearing speak earlier in the day. She had no prepared remarks, was speaking completely off the cuff, and somehow, in the course of a 15 minute impromptu speech, quoted everyone from Franklin Roosevelt to Asaata Shakur, explained the theory of wealth and inequality in America, referenced U.N. documents, cracked witty and endearing jokes, and made us feel equal parts inspired and humbled. My friend and I talked about how ridiculously smart this woman was and both had the same silly question: What books has she read that made her that smart?  

I can't tell you how many times I've asked that question in my head: when shaking hands with President Bill Clinton, while listening to Andrea Batiste Schlessinger...the list goes on and on. That simple question is why I've created this blog. Its a space for me to ask the smart people that inspire me what they read. Maybe one day, I'll read the list myself and be someone else's smart person. Until then, I'll just write this blog. 

6 comments:

Ramona said...

Erica, we are waiting for the list. Also, please tell us who is the brilliant woman you were speaking of.

Unknown said...

Erica is refreshing to see a young lady such as your self doing the work you do. I will keep tabs on you work I am watching the show again because I missed the first part earlier I must now consider my self a progressive because I fall in line with a lot of your views.I am from ny but I live in atlanta ga I am 39 yrs old and I really only speak to my mother about some of the issues most woman don't want to here some of the things you speak of. I love hiphop I am very politically astute an yes I do look at the gossip pages as well cornell west is my personal favorite.Do your thing miss.

Benja said...

Real changes begin with intelligent citizens in our local community as well as with intelligent politicians. Studying the past and being aware of the present, possible futures are revealed. To redirect our society towards the positive change Obama promised to help us accomplish, we must make a break from push button sound bite mentality.

Do some homework, read 1) The End of the Line, How Overfishing is Changing the World and What We Eat by Charles Clover; 2) The Bridge at the Edge of the World, Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability by James Gustave Speth; and 3) Obama's Challenge, America's Economic Crisis and the Power of a Transformative Presidency by Robert Kuttner. These books all identify how due to human acts nature and the economy are seriously troubled, and how different human actions can stop the pain and cure the trouble. While not even Obama can do everything, everyone can do something, and if we work together we can even turn problems into opportunities.


__/)______
Benja Schwartz
eastcreek@gmail.com

CNLM said...

re: Ray - the brilliant woman was Adrienne Maree Brown, executive director of The Ruckus Society. And you've inspired me to get back to work on this blog! Like a lot of really ambitious, really energetic, and really busy people, I have the tendency to come up with a great idea and have it linger in the land of "when i have time one day...". This blog is the perfect example. Well now's the day. Check back next week for the first entry. I've got some really exciting and interesting people lined up and already on tap to profile. You're gonna love it. Thanks for the push to get going!

CNLM said...

re: Henry - thanks so much for the kind words. We'll definitely keep in touch and don't be afraid to speak out about the issues that you care about - including hip hop. The world needs more voices out there pushing the envelope!

Unknown said...

Erica,I am still waiting for the list.